Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My first week in Uganda

I won't bore you with the ins and outs of my trip so far but will just give you highlights (and lowlights) of each day.

Tues 5th Oct

Arrived at 7.45am - plane journey good: managed to watch Toy Story 3 and Letters To Juliet, neither of which I had seen before. Great to see John again.

Wed 6th

John asked whether the spots on my face were 'seasonal'.
A little girl turned up at our gate and we played blowing bubbles for hours.
New Luganda phrases learnt: Maama wo agenze wa? - Where has your mum gone?
Webaka - Sleep time.
Enaanansi - Pineapple.

Thurs 7th

Went swimming at local pool.
Burnt self in sun.
Got back home just before thunder storm.
New Luganda phrase learnt: Njagalayo - I want

Fri 8th

Went to shopping centre on own on a 'bus'. Met a man called Bernard on the bus.
Bought a headset with microphone to talk on Skype.
Returned headset immediately after realising it had cost £60.
Discovered 'Round the Twist' on TV in amongst badly dubbed Spanish soap operas and African Big Brother. Bonus.
New Luganda word learnt: Wangi? - Pardon?

Sat 9th

Went to meet a Korean lady (Joy Kim) who has an orphanage in the middle of nowhere.
On way to Joy Kim's saw accident with boda boda and truck. Not nice.
Had nap in afternoon and woke up with 5p next to my head.
New Luganda phrase learnt: Si mani - I don't know.

Sun 10th

Visited St Luke's church near home. Hideously extravagant when a lot of the congregation are poor.
Visited Ndere Troupe in evening - different African dances - lots of fun, especially when the power cut mid dance. Strangely, got home and saw part of the same troupe performing in China on BBC World News.
New Luganda phrase learnt: Enkuba eneetonya - It is going to rain.

Mon 11th

Met my friend Grace Nnyanzi for a drink.
Left my shopping bag in internet cafe. Went back and it was still there. Phew.

Tues 12th

Went to bar with free internet. Impossible to get on hotmail or yahoo. Gave up after 2 hours.
New Luganda phrase learnt: Nkomawo mangu - I'll be back soon.
Excited about seeing miners come up tomorrow.

Wed 13th

Woke up to watch miners coming out of capsule one by one.
Went to paint window frames on medical centre we are building. Felt good.
Big big thunder storm.
Learnt about something called Mobile Money but need to find out exactly what it is but it sounds really exciting and useful.

My uncle arrives on Friday and I will be seeing my friend Jonathan on Sunday who is out here for 6 weeks.

1 comment: