Thursday, February 26, 2015

Busy-ness!

I’ve not blogged for a few weeks because I’ve been so busy with project preparations, getting product samples ready and a few other things…

My friend Zoe was in Uganda for a whirlwind six day visit last week to do some work for Link International and to attend a very important wedding/introduction. We had fun at the introduction which had more than 3000 people, even though we couldn’t understand much of what was being said. It was important that we were there to celebrate, represent Link International and to network as there were many Members of Parliament in attendance.

Picking people up on the side of the road on the way to the introduction. Just out of shot is the baby that Zoe was thrown to look after!

Fields of Life


These past few weeks I’ve also been meeting with my new friend Anne Brown who is from Northern Ireland and is a trustee for education charity Fields of Life. Anne has introduced me to the possibility of Alli Wano parents making reusable sanitary pads – not very sexy but a necessity in Uganda’s rural areas. It seems that soon it will be compulsory for all schools here to provide sanitary wear for female pupils, so the market could be very lucrative. There are some organisations already making these pads, such as Afripads, but they cannot possibly make them for the entire country. Anne has set up a project called I Am Girl, focusing on educating girls about their menstrual cycle and enabling them to attend school even when they have their monthly period. (They would normally have to stay at home during heavier flow.) 

To be able to help not only Alli Wano/Suubi House parents through sewing training and employment, but also help another set of people with the end products would be wonderful. Monica and I are going to look at some patterns and research next week to see if it’s something we want to pursue.


Communications


In amongst all that, as tends to happen in my life, I have offered my services on a voluntary basis as a communications consultant for Fields of Life as they are realising that they need to be more strategic in their comms approach in Uganda. So I’m going to be working with them one morning a week on their comms strategy, as well as conducting some training for staff.


Ex-trafficked women


I’ve also been approached by someone from my new church, Freedom Church, to come and look at the possibility of holding sewing classes at an organisation supporting women who have escaped trafficking. Monica and I are planning to visit this project next week to discuss the way forward with them. I hope that this may be another source of income for Monica.


Arios sewing her first line of stitches

First training sessions


The training sessions this week have gone really well and have been so encouraging for me, the mums and Monica. Tuesday’s class had four women and today’s had three – all have different backgrounds, children and circumstances but they’ve been getting on well; there has been lots of laughing (and lots of hard work of course). 

As I expected, some challenges are already arising – some predicted and some not – let’s just say I’m so glad I have Monica on board. One of the biggest problems is only having two sewing machines. If you would like to donate towards another sewing machine for Alli Wano please get in touch - they are about £80 to buy here.

Seeing the way God is working in different people's lives already is so uplifting. It looks as though next week is going to be just as full and busy and I'm enjoying it all so much. 


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, again Fran, how God is using you!! Can't wait to see you in action in three weeks or so! XX

    ReplyDelete