Thursday, April 2, 2015

Cold Cold Cold!

Saturday 28th


We spent a few minutes in Jinja town after checking out. The hotel staff were lovely, the ladies even gave us a hug; we might as well have been family!  After another long drive we arrived back in Ntinda mid-afternoon.

Sunday 29th


A visit to see John’s 79 year old mother was today’s highlight. She lives in a two room house built by John. An amazing woman; she walked 500 miles as a refugee from war-torn Rwanda before John was born. While there I heard a very loud Palm Sunday service taking place nearby - so I went in for a few minutes. I couldn’t leave Uganda without experiencing some genuine African Christian enthusiasm!!

In the afternoon we went to a craft market in Kampala where I bought a lovely black doll for Lucy.

I can hardly believe that I have been here for a week now!

Monday 30th


This morning it was lovely to meet some of Fran’s friends at the Kampala office of the charity Viva, where she worked for almost a year in 2011.

Well, tomorrow evening we fly home. I have immensely enjoyed this experience, but feel ready to return to normality at home. Fran’s coming back home for a wedding later in April, so that’s something we can both look forward to.





Tues 31st 


We set off for the airport in Entebbe in pouring rain, which meant that the roads were less busy.
Had a good lunch at a hotel near the airport, and overlooking Lake Victoria, and I managed a rest on a recliner under a tree outside in what was by then hot sunshine. Lake Victoria is tidal; it was relaxing to hear the waves breaking on the nearby beach. The flight was delayed by an hour, but there was still plenty of time to get the connecting flight from Doha to Manchester.



Wednesday 1st April


Cold, cold, cold! Coming back to what is effectively still winter weather is somewhat of a shock!
I’m typing this on the train from Manchester Airport and hope to be home about 10.30 a.m.

I’m so pleased that I made it to see Fran in Uganda, and to see her in action. I’m so proud of her! The trip has been a real eye opener; until you actually go, no matter how someone tries to describe what it’s like, you have no real idea. You’ve got to go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment