Friday, November 5, 2010

A month gone


Thurs 28th
Grace’s sister Julie’s 7th birthday. Gave her 2 lollies, a Happy Families game, and 2 books - Went off to school clutching them.
Peter rang me from a different number. Blocked that one.
Grace and I caught a bus to Kampala. Didn't set on fire.
Halfway to Kampala paid 200shillings for the privilege of going to a latrine with no toilet paper where women were peeing in front of each other and standing in everyone else’s urine.
So hungry, ate a boiled egg from side of road. Mistake?
Luganda words learnt:
Fufu – dust

Fri 29th

Eight guests descended late the previous night to stay in our apartments. Woke me up at 7am singing gospel songs.
Put together a portfolio of work to send to Beki’s work for them to consider. Fingers crossed for a job. Turns out I have done quite a lot of good stuff!
Found a body spray called ‘Tramp’. Bought it immediately. *
*This is a lie.

Sat 30th

Ate a rolex for lunch.
Shared a boda boda to town with Bailey. New motto – ‘arrive alive’.
Went to massive market with Beki and Americans.
A man with no fingers asked us for money. Unsure whether to give money or offer to pray or neither or both.
Men in the market place tried to entice us to buy their products by calling us names including but not limited to: Baby, Sweetheart, Sister, Darling, Christina, Betty, and saying ‘you are my size’. I think you’ll find you’re not mine.
Feet so muddy I bought a cheap towel to wipe them and threw it away.
Washing feet with Kelsey and completely forgot I was in Africa for a second.
Eight guests at centre singing songs until 1am.

Sun 31st

Beki and I woken up at 8am by singing guests.
Went to Watoto Church Central with Americans. Very good. A man from Dagenham preached.
Bailey, Kelsey, Beki, Jolene and I made cookies – most proud of my giraffe cookie.
All bought pumpkins to carve. Caused an African stir by walking through the street with multiple pumpkins -  everyone very confused. (Bailey – I just remembered I owe you 2,000 for my pumpkin)
Carved my first ever pumpkin! Success.

Mon 1st Nov

Went to internet cafe and power went off three times for up to half an hour each time. Very frustrating.
Met a man who actually didn’t ask for my number! Bit offended.

Tues 2nd

Went to two schools with Americans. Very interesting. Felt very moved in fellowship time.
Discovered that lollipops are called ‘suckers’ in America.
Woman behind desk at internet cafe ignored me for approximately three minutes.
Discussed mannerisms at the centre. Apparently I have a different walk in the mornings.
Luganda phrase learnt:
Ogenda wa leero? – Where are you going today?

Wed 3rd

Chopped down a banana tree with a machete under John’s instruction.
Discussed with John what extremes we would go to if we were stranded on a desert island and hungry.
Met Jonathan, Claire and Esther for dinner. Watched Jonathan’s news report on TV.
If there was an award for the rudest waitress in Africa, ‘Rebecca’ from Jonathan’s hotel would win hands down.
Luganda words learnt:
Funa – get
Kaaba – cry
Fumba - cook


No comments:

Post a Comment