Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Week the third

Thurs 21st

Lazy day.
Packed clothes and medication to take to Zoe and Hannah at campsite. Took ages.
Went to ‘Quality Supermarket’ to get Pringles, tuna and chocolate for Zoe and Hannah. No chocolate anywhere. Disaster.
Sign in car park said if you park for more than 2 hours your car will be clumped.

Fri 22nd

Set off to campsite 9.30am with Tim and John.
Vehicle windscreen cracked. Had to be ‘fixed’ at the garage, the process partly involving covering the crack with cellotape.
Stopped at hotel halfway to campsite. Strange bar with identity crisis – illuminous walls, British seaside pictures, Hollywood film memorabilia, Bollywood film memorabilia, African statues, Irish banners, and the piece de resistance, a poster of George W Bush.
Arrived at campsite 6.30pm. Good to see Zoe and Han.

Sat 23rd

Went swimming at Kingfisher Lodge. Met the German owner, Mr Fisher, who asked me to bow in front of him. I don’t think so.
Slept in a tent. Had a lovely dream I was in a big bubbly bubble bath.

Sun 24th

Went to Kingfisher with Tim, Zoe and Han for drinks and food.
Massive storm. Sudden phone call from John at campsite saying he was in a bush trying to find 100,000 shillings (£30ish) blown away by wind.
Left John to it and decided a good use of our time would be to stick various objects to our faces. (See pictures)
Zoe fell asleep while I was talking to her. Nice.

Mon 25th

Tim and John left for Kampala at 6am. I woke up at 10am.
Decided to look in bushes for shillings.
Small child said, ‘Are you looking for your money?’
I said, ‘How do you know?’
Small child shrugged and walked off.
Strangely, didn’t find our money.
Caught death bus to Mbarara with a Rastafarian called Brown.
Almost to Mbarara when bus overheated and set on fire. All off bus.
Arrived at Pastor Emmy’s. Great to see everyone.
Luganda phrases learnt:
Tu gende ka kati! – Let’s go, now!
Ndi steady – I’m steady
Ndi easy – I’ll let you work that one out. (Perhaps not one I’ll be using that often.)

Tues 26th

Have been given an African name by Grace – Kirabo (Gift)
Was asked whether the spots on my face were mosquito bites.
A drunk man in the street said, ‘you think you are better than us Africans,’ before trying to push me and then falling on the floor.
Went to orphanage school. Spoke to children in main hall. So great to see how the children I first met in 2006 have changed.
Zoe rang in evening to say her and Han were in a bar in Mbarara. Noah and Bonnie took me over.
Zoe and Han were with a guy called Milton from the village and Milton’s relatives. Sat next to a 40 year old man called Peter, one of the relatives. Swapped numbers. Mistake. Why don’t I learn?!

Wed 27th

Had Honey Stars for breakfast. Somewhat akin to Honey Nut Loops. Tasty.
Taken to see the new site for the school and orphanage. Essentially an entire hill.
Found a blackberry bush. Ate a blackberry. They taste exactly the same as in the UK.
New driver whose name appears to be One By One.
Peter rang. Told him I was busy. Blocked Peter’s number.
Went back to orphanage for ‘fellowship’. Realised when I got there that they wanted me to preach! Prayed. Had to quickly write short talk notes on phone. Went very well. Thanks Lord.
Had to think of games to play on the field – did quite well – duck duck goose, cat and mouse, simon says, hokey cokey, and then gave up and threw frisbees around.
Went to trade show. Touched a camel. Nearly ate my arm.
Luganda phrase learnt: Oli bulungi? – Are you ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment